Posted by Bushcraft and Survival Skills
Follow these steps to use the Hand Drill Method
- Make sure you have a tinder bundle prepared for when you get an ember.
- Cut a V-shaped notch in the a board, then start a small depression with your knife tip.
- Set a piece of bark, or a big leaf underneath the notch to catch your ember.
- Place the spindle, which should be about two feet in length, in the depression and while maintaining a good amount of downward pressure, roll the stick between the palms of your hands, running them very quickly down the stick.
- Keep doing this until the spindle tip glows red and you get an ember.
- Tap the board to get the ember onto your leaf or piece of bark, then transfer it over to your tinder bundle and blow it until you get a flame.